Cheese & Oat Hash Browns
A mouth-wateringly delicious addition to any special breakfast!
Serves: 4 | Prep time: 35 mins
4 medium-sized baking potatoes, baked and cooled
80g Flahavan’s Gluten Free Porridge Oats
65g Cheddar cheese, grated
1 tsp fresh thyme
300g tomatoes, on the vine
300g portobello mushrooms
8 rashers of streaky bacon
Salt and pepper, to taste
Glug of olive oil
1. Peel then grate the pre-cooked baked potatoes. Mix the grated, cooked potato with Flahavan’s Gluten Free Irish Oats, cheddar cheese and thyme. Season generously.
2. Heat half the butter and a splash of olive oil in a medium-sized, non-stick frying pan over a medium-low heat. Once sizzling, add the oat and potato mixture to the pan. Fry for a couple of minutes, then gently pat the mixture down with the back of a spoon so it forms a flat round cake. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
3. Next, carefully place a large plate on top of the frying pan and invert so the hash brown sits cooked-side-up on the plate. Add the remaining half of the butter and another splash of oil to the frying pan, then slide the hash brown back into the pan to cook the other side. Continue cooking for a further 10 minutes until crispy and golden.
4. While the hash brown is cooking, pre-heat the grill to medium. Line a baking tray with foil and arrange the tomatoes, mushrooms and streaky bacon on the tray. Grill for 10-15 minutes until the bacon is crispy.
5. To serve, cut the oaty hash brown into wedges and portion out the streaky bacon, tomatoes and mushrooms.