Pinhead Oatmeal Scones
A classic savoury scone recipe from Mary Flahavan, using our iconic pinhead oatmeal - so tasty!
Serves Approx. 8-10 scones|Takes 30-40 mins
- 200g (8oz) Flahavan’s Pinhead Oatmeal
- 500ml (3/4 pint) buttermilk
- 250g (10oz) plain flour
- 1 tsp. bread soda
- 2 tbsp. sunflower oil
- 1/2 tsp salt (optional)
- Place the Pinhead Oatmeal in a mixing bowl with 300ml (1/2 pt) of the buttermilk and the sunflower oil. Allow to steep for about 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C / 375°F / Gas mark 5.
- Sieve the flour, bread soda and salt and add to the steeped oatmeal. Mix to a loose dough, adding the remaining buttermilk as required.
- Turn the dough on to a lightly floured surface and flatten to about 1 inch in thickness.
- Cut out the scones using a knife and place on a baking tray lined with parchment.
- Place in the oven and bake for approx. 20 minutes until golden brown.
- When baked, remove from the oven and allow to cool.
Top Tip: Flahavan’s Jumbo Oats or Progress Oatlets can also be used in this recipe – you may need additional buttermilk.